About Cobo Hall
Cobo Center, originally known as Cobo Hall, is a major convention center situated along Jefferson Ave. in downtown Detroit, Michigan, USA. It and the adjacent Cobo Arena are named for Albert E. Cobo, mayor of Detroit from 1950 to 1957. Designed by Gino Rossetti, both Cobo Hall and Cobo Arena opened in 1960. Expanded in 1989, the present 2,400,000 sq ft (223,000 m) complex contains 700,000 sq ft (65,000 m) of exhibition space. Preliminary construction to update and further expand the center's exhibition space to 866,000 sq ft (80,500 m) began October 1, 2009. Cobo Center, adjacent Joe Louis Arena with seating capacity of 21,066 is served by the Detroit People Mover with its own station. Cobo Center has a large attached parking garage with direct access to the Lodge Freeway. Cobo Center is located along the Detroit International Riverfront. The center is the home of the North American International Auto Show or NAIAS, which is hosts each January, and Autorama, which is hosts each March. There are about 5,000 hotel rooms in downtown Detroit with 4,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of Cobo Hall. Cobo Arena is a 12,191-seat indoor arena adjacent to Cobo Center.